Monday, February 2, 2015

Back to Mustang Island

On Friday, January 30 we left Padre Island National Seashore. We really liked it there. It is a great place to come in the winter and be warmer on the beach and enjoy the solitude.


We drove the short distance back to Mustang Island SP and set up camp. We decided to come back here to do some fishing and to wait out a cold front before we move back a bit north and west.

I went out fishing on the jetty. I found that the jetty was creating a leeward side that was holding fish. I caught about 5 fish in about 2 hours of fishing. The gulf was significantly more angry, but it was still a fun day of fishing.



Here is a picture of one of the whiting I caught. I threw all of them back.


I went fishing again on Saturday. I fished for about 4 hours and caught about 15 fish including this Porgie:


I kept a couple of  whiting to see if they tasted good. BTW, They did. Not much meat, but not bad.

We had a visit from our great niece, Halle. I really enjoyed our time together. 


John and Erin came to get Halle and stopped for a while. I made creole gumbo for dinner. We had a nice visit.  It is great to see friends and family while we are traveling. 

On Super Bowl Sunday, we went to church and then to a place called Charlies Pasture Nature Preserve. It has a trail/board walk that is about a mile long. We did not get to see a large number of exotic birds, but plenty of ducks, egrets and Ibis.



We did not get any great pictures of birds, but we did see a cool looking wood duck and a Snowy Egret.

The Nature Preserve was right along the waterway into the port of Corpus Christi. We saw some large tankers coming in.


I like this one with the Blue Heron standing in front. 


Then we came back to the rig and watched the Super Bowl. Good game with some very aggressive coaching calls by Pete Carroll. Some would call them bad decisions, but that is what it takes to win. You have to have thick skin to be a professional coach. I just enjoyed the great game. 

We will hang out here and do some fishing for a week or so. Then we will move a bit north. Have a great day!








No comments:

Post a Comment