Sunday, May 1, 2022

Quick Update

We left Marathon on Saturday, April 30, as planned. We sailed north up Hawks Channel to Key Largo then went outside the reef into open ocean. We hit the Gulf Stream about 7 pm. Our speeds increased to 7 to 9 knots SOG. All was good until we ran into a strong thunderstorm about 1:30  am. We had winds over 40 knots and driving rain. SHIFT took good care of us and we are fine. We sailed north at a very fast pace in rough seas. At about 8:00 Sunday morning, May 1, the wind picked up to about 20 knots out of the Northwest. The Gulfstream got very rough with big breaking waves. The forecast was for southeast winds, but we decided to divert to West Palm Beach. We arrived around 11 got the hook down in Lake Worth. We are not sure of our plan from here. We will rest and see what tomorrow brings. Thanks for reading.

8 comments:

  1. Good to know you are safe and our experience is paying off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, they say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. HaHa. All is good.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like quite the rough adventure, I don't know if we would be up for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pretty rough for a short time. It was that experience that helped convince me that we did not want to push it yesterday. Once we turned to the west the wind and waves were behind us and it was quite pleasant (by comparison). I am sure you guys would be fine. Building a house scares me.

      Delete
  3. Oh I’d be do seasick! Glad you made it through safely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do get seasick. Kim is trying different things to deal with it. I don't normally get real sick, but when I don't feel well I go to the helm and take it off autopilot and drive the boat for a while. Before long my seasickness is gone.

      Delete
  4. I keep thinking I would love one more great adventure but have now decided I will live mine through you and Kim. You two are very brave. I will continue to get my sailing adventure following you two. Be careful.
    Dick & Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it is "brave", I think it is stupid. Oh well, this is our last great adventure and you are welcome to come along. We just don't know how long it will last.

      Delete