Sunday, January 25, 2015

Mustang Island State Park

We have been hanging out at Mustang Island State Park since Tuesday, January 20. The first two days were pretty nice, but we knew a storm front was coming in. Thursday and Friday we down in the 40's and very windy. When it gets like that, we just hunker down in the trailer and relax. We really don't view those as bad days, we are very comfortable and we like to be lazy every now and then. Kim usually reads and I play on computers.

On Wednesday, we went to a local birding center and walked on the boardwalk.


We saw a number of birds including the Roseate Spoonbill and some Shoveler ducks. We also saw two large alligators. Not as big as the one at Choke Canyon, but still around 10 feet. I am really not set up to take pictures of birds, so I did not get any good ones. We did see some Nutrias in the grass. They look kind of like a muskrat. 




Kim saw this flower blooming. It sure feels strange to have a flower blooming in January.


Here is a picture of our campsite. I think it is one of the best in the park. You can see all of the water. We must have had more than an inch of rain.  Hopefully that will help the drought  that is going on down in south Texas. 


I also found my first geocache. It was an old ammo can. I downloaded the app the other day and I may do some of that when I am in different parks. We will see. I signed the book and put it back in place.


While the weather was bad, I went shopping. I bought a salt water fishing rod and the gear needed to do some surf fishing. I tried it out on Saturday. I didn't catch anything, but I think I may enjoy this. One of the cool rules with Texas State Parks is that you can fish without a license. I love that about Texas SP's.


I had this Blue Heron hanging around looking for scraps. 



Well that just about catches us up to this weekend. We are looking at moving over to the National Seashore on Tuesday. We will be boondocking, but the campground is closer to the beach and I would like to ride my motorcycle down the beach. We will see if that works out. 

I will leave you with a couple of sunset pictures. The beach area makes for some very nice sunrises and sunsets. 





Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment